Last week it was my Dad’s birthday and I said I was making a little surprise for him. He loves Turkish delight so I thought I would have a crack at it. The recipe I used is from one of my favourite cook books, Gifts from the Kitchen. This is what you will need to make about 20 pieces.
- 375g Caster Sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 25g Gelatine Powder*
- 100g Cornflour
- 25g Icing Sugar
- 2-3 tsp Rosewater
- Red/Pink Food Colouring
- Square silicone baking tin
* see end of post for possible changes to this.
Put the sugar, lemon juice & 300ml of water into a medium sized pan. Stir over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved then gently bring to the boil.
In a bowl or jug, mix the gelatine with 75g cornflour & 200ml water. Add it to the pan stirring all the time until the gelatine is dissolved. Then Simmer for approx 20 minutes until it resembles something like really thick but smooth wallpaper paste.
Remove from the heat & allow to cool. Then add the rosewater and food colouring. You can use pink if you have it. I used a couple of drops of red instead which still came out a light pink. (It seems to lighten in colour slightly once set.)
Lightly oil a square silicone tin. Mix together the remaining cornflour & icing sugar and lightly dust the tray. Tip out any excess.
Pour the cooled mix into the silicone tin and leave to set for at least 4 hours.
When completely set, remove the Turkish delight from the tin and cut into cubes. Roll the pieces in what’s left of the cornflour & icing sugar mixture. Store in an airtight container.
Unfortunately I found that after about an hour, the Turkish delight was expunging water and turning the powder into a sticky icing. I thought I would try rolling them in more powder but it still resulted in exactly the same thing. Not knowing what went wrong, I scoured the internet for a while to find out. I came across a web page called Seasoned Advice which had the answer to my specific problem.
Apparently, it was happening because of either the lack of strength in the gelatine or the presence of too little gelatine. Supposedly you can fix it by melting the mixture back down and adding a pinch of Xanthan Gum. ( A stabiliser.)
Sadly I did not get a chance to try this though as by the time I had found out why this was happening, I was out of time.
So if you attempt this recipe, maybe try using a stronger gelatine or using slightly more of it. If not, make sure to have xanthan gum to hand in case what happened to me, happens to you.
Thanks for reading!